S&P and NASDAQ trade to a new record highs
The major stock indices are opening up with strong gains and in the process the S&P and NASDAQ have moved to new record highs. Hopes for a vaccine are propelling the stock indices higher. The NASDAQ is leading the charge with a gain above 1%.
The snapshot of the markets four minutes into the opening are showing:
- S&P index up 25.19 points or 0.74% at 3422.35. The new all-time high comes in at 3426.00
- NASDAQ index is up 129.53 points or 1.15% at 11441.32. The all time new high price is at 11453.32
- the Dow industrial average is up 177.52 points or 0.64% at 28107.85.. The Dow still remains about 1.5% away from its end of year closing level.
In other markets,
- spot gold has given up most of its $19 gain seen near the beginning of the North American session. It currently trades up about $2.21 or 0.11% $1942.50
- spot silver is also given up earlier gains and trades up about $0.01 at $26.80
- WTI crude oil futures are up $0.11 or 0.26% of $42.45
In the US debt market the yields remain mixed with modest gains or losses in yields